Gastric bypass is a type of weight loss surgery that changes the way your stomach and intestines process food. It can help you lose weight and improve your health, but it also requires some lifestyle changes and follow-up care. In this blog post, we will discuss what to expect after gastric bypass and how to succeed in your weight loss journey.
What is gastric bypass?
Gastric bypass is a surgery that reduces the size of your stomach and bypasses part of your small intestine. This means that you will feel full faster and absorb fewer calories from the food you eat. Gastric bypass can help you lose up to 70% of your excess weight within two years, and also improve or resolve conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and joint pain.
There are different types of gastric bypass, such as Roux-en-Y, mini gastric bypass, and sleeve gastrectomy. The most common one is Roux-en-Y, which involves creating a small pouch from the upper part of your stomach and connecting it to a lower part of your small intestine. The rest of your stomach and the upper part of your small intestine are bypassed, but not removed.
Gastric bypass is usually done laparoscopically, which means that the surgeon makes small incisions in your abdomen and inserts a camera and special instruments to perform the surgery. This method is less invasive and has fewer risks and complications than open surgery.
Why choose gastric bypass in Turkey?
Turkey is a popular destination for medical tourism, especially for bariatric surgery. There are many reasons to choose gastric bypass in Turkey, such as:
- Cost: Gastric bypass surgery in Turkey is much cheaper than in many other countries, such as the UK, the US, or Australia. You can save up to 70% of the cost by choosing Turkey, without compromising on the quality of the service. The average price of gastric bypass in Turkey is around $5,000, while in the UK it can cost up to $15,000, and in the US up to $25,000.
- Quality: Turkey has many accredited and modern hospitals and clinics that offer gastric bypass surgery. The surgeons are experienced and well-trained, and use the latest technology and equipment. The facilities are clean and comfortable, and the staff are friendly and professional. You can also enjoy the hospitality and culture of Turkey, as well as its beautiful scenery and attractions.
- Success: Gastric bypass surgery in Turkey has a high success rate, with many patients achieving their weight loss goals and improving their health and quality of life.
What to expect after gastric bypass?
After gastric bypass surgery, you will need to stay in the hospital for one or two nights, and then in a hotel for a few days. You will have regular check-ups and tests to monitor your recovery and progress. You will also receive instructions and guidance on how to care for yourself and adjust to your new lifestyle.
Some of the things you can expect after the operation are:
- Pain and discomfort: You may experience some pain and discomfort in your abdomen, chest, and shoulders after the surgery. This is normal and can be managed with painkillers and ice packs. The pain should subside within a few days or weeks.
- Diet: You will need to follow a special diet after gastric bypass to allow your stomach and intestines to heal and adapt. You will start with clear liquids, such as water, broth, and sugar-free juice, and then gradually progress to pureed foods, soft foods, and solid foods. You will need to eat small portions, chew well, and avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or calories. You will also need to drink plenty of fluids, but not with your meals. You will need to take vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent deficiencies.
- Exercise: You will need to start walking as soon as possible after the surgery to prevent blood clots and improve your circulation. You will then gradually increase your physical activity, such as swimming, cycling, or jogging. You will need to aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week to maintain your weight loss and improve your fitness.
- Lifestyle: You will need to make some lifestyle changes after gastric bypass to ensure your long-term success. You will need to quit smoking, limit alcohol, and avoid drugs. You will also need to manage your stress, sleep well, and follow up with your doctor regularly. You will also need to monitor your weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels.
Can I eat anything after gastric bypass?
No, you cannot eat anything after gastric bypass. You will need to follow a special diet that gradually progresses from liquids to pureed foods, soft foods, and solid foods. You will also need to avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or calories, and drink plenty of fluids. Your doctor or dietitian will give you specific instructions and recommendations on what to eat and how much after the surgery. Eating the right foods and following the diet plan can help you heal faster, lose weight safely, and prevent complications.
How long do I need to follow the diet plan?
The diet plan after gastric bypass surgery is not a temporary phase, but a lifelong commitment. You will need to follow the diet guidelines for the rest of your life to maintain your weight loss and health. However, the diet will become less restrictive and more varied as you progress through the stages and heal from the surgery. You can start eating regular foods about 8 to 12 weeks after operation, but you will still need to eat small portions, chew well, and avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, or calories. You will also need to drink plenty of fluids, take vitamin and mineral supplements, and exercise regularly.
Can I have a baby after gastric bypass surgery?
The short answer is yes, you can have a baby after gastric bypass surgery. However, there are some important things to consider before you plan to conceive.
First, you should wait at least 12 to 24 months after your surgery before getting pregnant. This is to allow your body to heal and stabilize after the rapid weight loss.
Second, you should consult with your bariatric surgeon and your obstetrician before and during your pregnancy. They can monitor your weight, vitamin levels, blood sugar, blood pressure, and other health indicators to ensure a safe and healthy pregnancy.
Third, you should be aware of the possible risks and complications of pregnancy after gastric bypass surgery. Some of these include:
- Gestational diabetes: Although bariatric surgery can lower your risk of developing diabetes, some women may still develop gestational diabetes during pregnancy. This can increase the risk of having a large baby, a C-section delivery, and other complications.
- Preeclampsia: This is a condition that causes high blood pressure and protein in the urine during pregnancy. It can lead to serious problems for you and your baby, such as seizures, organ damage, and premature birth. Bariatric surgery can reduce your risk of preeclampsia, but it does not eliminate it.
- Nutrient deficiencies: Bariatric surgery can affect how your body absorbs certain vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium, folic acid, and vitamin B12. These are essential for your baby’s growth and development. You may need to take extra supplements and have blood tests to check your levels.
- Birth weight: Some studies have shown that babies born to women who have had bariatric surgery tend to have lower birth weights than those born to women who have not. This may be due to the reduced calorie intake and nutrient absorption of the mother. However, this does not necessarily mean that the babies are unhealthy or have developmental problems.
In summary, pregnancy after gastric bypass surgery is possible and can have many benefits for you and your baby. However, you should also be aware of the potential risks and complications and follow the advice of your health care providers.
How much weight can I lose after gastric bypass surgery?
According to the web search results, the amount of weight you can lose after gastric bypass surgery depends on several factors, such as your starting weight, your diet, your exercise, and your adherence to the post-surgery guidelines. On average, gastric bypass patients lose about 70% of their excess weight in the first year after surgery.
How to succeed after gastric bypass?
Gastric bypass is not a magic solution for weight loss. It is a tool that can help you achieve your goals, but it also requires your commitment and effort. To succeed after gastric bypass, you will need to:
- Follow your doctor’s advice: Your doctor will give you specific instructions and recommendations on how to care for yourself after the surgery. You will need to follow them carefully and report any problems or concerns to your doctor. You will also need to attend your follow-up appointments and tests to track your progress and health.
- Stick to your diet and exercise plan: Your diet and exercise plan are essential for your weight loss and health after gastric bypass. You will need to follow them consistently and make them part of your routine. You will also need to be flexible and adaptable, as your needs and preferences may change over time.
- Seek support: You are not alone in your weight loss journey. You can seek support from your family, friends, doctor, dietitian, psychologist, or support group. They can help you cope with the challenges and celebrate the achievements. You can also share your experiences and learn from others who have undergone gastric bypass.
- Be positive: Gastric bypass is a major change in your life, and it may not be easy or smooth. You may encounter some difficulties and setbacks, such as stalls, plateaus, or complications. You may also face some emotional and psychological issues, such as depression, anxiety, or body image problems. You will need to be positive and optimistic, and focus on the benefits and outcomes of the surgery. You will also need to be patient and realistic, and appreciate the small and big changes in your body and life.
Gastric bypass is a safe and effective way to lose weight and improve your health. It can also be a rewarding and fulfilling experience, if you are prepared and motivated. If you are interested in gastric bypass in Turkey, you can contact us for more information and assistance. We will help you find the best clinic and surgeon for your needs, and arrange your travel and accommodation. We will also provide you with ongoing support and guidance throughout your journey. With us, you can achieve your weight loss dreams and enjoy a new and better life.