Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that uses breast implants to enlarge and enhance the breasts. It is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a good option for people who:
- Want to increase the size of their breasts
- Want to improve the shape of their breasts
- Want to correct asymmetry between their breasts
- Want to restore breast volume that has been lost due to pregnancy, weight loss, or aging
What are the benefits of breast augmentation?
The benefits of breast implants include:
- Fuller, more rounded breasts
- More balanced and proportional figure
- Increased self-confidence
What are the risks and complications of breast augmentation?
As with any surgery, there are some risks and complications associated with breast implants. These risks include:
- Numbness in the breasts
- Changes in sensation in the breasts
- Capsular contracture (hardening of the scar tissue around the implant)
- Implant rupture
- Breast implant illness (BII)
What are the different types of breast implants?
There are two main types of breast implants: saline and silicone.
- Saline implants are filled with sterile saline solution. They are typically less expensive than silicone implants, but they may not feel as natural.
- Silicone implants are filled with silicone gel. They are typically more expensive than saline implants, but they may feel more natural.
There are also two main shapes of breast implants: round and teardrop.
- Round implants give the breasts a fuller, more rounded appearance.
- Teardrop implants give the breasts a more natural appearance.
How is breast augmentation performed?
Breast augmentation is typically performed under general anesthesia. The surgeon will begin by making an incision in the armpit, under the breast, or around the areola. The surgeon will then create a pocket behind the breast muscle or under the breast tissue. The surgeon will then insert the breast implant into the pocket and stitch the incision closed.
What is the recovery process like after breast augmentation?
Recovery from the surgery typically takes a few weeks. Most people are able to go home from the hospital within a few hours after surgery.
It is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully during the recovery period. This may include:
- Applying ice packs to your breasts to reduce swelling
- Taking pain medication
- Avoiding strenuous activity for at least two weeks
- Wearing a supportive bra for at least two weeks
Most people are able to return to work or school within a few days after breast augmentation. However, it is important to be patient and give your breasts time to heal completely.
What are the results of breast augmentation?
The results of breast augmentation are typically permanent. Once the implants have settled into place, the new breast shape will be maintained.
Most people are very happy with the results of breast augmentation. The procedure can give the breasts a more fuller, more rounded appearance and boost self-confidence.
How much does breast augmentation cost?
The cost of breast implants will vary depending on the surgeon’s fee, the geographic location where the surgery is performed, and the type of implants used. However, in general, the cost of breast implantsranges from $5,000 to $10,000.
Breast augmentation is a safe and effective procedure that can be used to enlarge and enhance the breasts. If you are interested in breast implants, be sure to consult with a qualified oculoplastic surgeon.
Here is some additional information about breast augmentation surgery:
- The procedure is typically performed in under two hours.
- The results of the surgery are immediately visible.
- Breast implants surgery can be combined with other cosmetic procedures, such as a breast lift or a nipple reduction.
- The new breast shape will continue to improve over the next few weeks as the swelling subsides.
- Breast surgery is a relatively low-maintenance procedure. Once the breasts have healed, patients can resume their normal activities and wear makeup as usual.
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, be sure to do your research and choose a qualified surgeon.