Ear aesthetics, also known as otoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that improves the appearance of the ears. It can be performed to address a variety of concerns, including:
- Protruding ears: Protruding ears, also known as bat ears, are a common condition that can cause self-consciousness in children and adults. Otoplasty can reshape the ears so that they lie closer to the head.
- Lop ears: Lop ears are characterized by a folded over upper ear rim. Otoplasty can correct the fold and create a more natural appearance.
- Asymmetric ears: Ears can be different sizes or shapes, which can lead to asymmetry. Otoplasty can even out the size and shape of the ears to create a more balanced appearance.
- Birth defects: Some people are born with ear defects, such as microtia (small ears) or anotia (no ears). Otoplasty can reconstruct the ears and improve their appearance and function.
Who is a good candidate for Otoplasty?
Good candidates for ear aesthetics are people who are in good overall health and who have realistic expectations for the results of surgery. Ear aesthetics can be performed on children as young as 5 years old, but it is typically recommended to wait until the ears have fully developed.
How is prominent ear surgery performed?
Prominent Ear Surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia, but general anesthesia may be used in children or for more complex procedures. The surgeon will make an incision behind the ear and reshape the ear cartilage. The incision will then be closed with sutures.
What is the recovery process for ear aesthetics?
Most people recover from Prominent Ear Surgery within a few weeks. However, it may take up to a few months for the swelling and bruising to completely subside. During your recovery, it is important to avoid strenuous activity and to wear a headband or bandage to protect your ears.
What are the risks and side effects of ear aesthetics?
The risks and side effects of ear aesthetics are generally mild and temporary. They may include:
How much does ear aesthetics cost in the United States and the United Kingdom?
The cost of otoplasty varies depending on the surgeon, the geographic location, and the complexity of the surgery. However, the average cost of ear aesthetics in the United States is around $2,000-$3,000, and the average cost of ear aesthetics in the United Kingdom is around £2,000-£3,000.
Is otoplasty right for you?
If you are considering ear aesthetics, it is important to consult with a qualified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations. The surgeon can assess your needs and determine if ear aesthetics is the right procedure for you.
Is prominent ear surgery (otoplasty) risky?
Ss with any surgery, there are some potential risks and complications, including:
- Bleeding and infection: These are rare complications of otoplasty, but they can occur.
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia: This is also rare, but it is important to be aware of the possibility.
- Asymmetry: It is possible for the ears to be slightly asymmetrical after surgery, but this is usually not noticeable.
- Overcorrection: In rare cases, the ears may be overcorrected, making them look too small or pinned back.
- Undercorrection: In rare cases, the ears may not be corrected enough, requiring a second surgery.
What is the advantage of having a prominent ear surgery?
A prominent ear, characterized by an outward curvature more pronounced than typical, can give rise to aesthetic concerns. Many individuals with this condition may find themselves feeling quite uneasy. Opting for ear aesthetics can bring about several advantages, including heightened self-assurance, an improved aesthetic appearance, increased comfort in social interactions, a long-lasting solution, and a rapid recovery. Typically, feedback following prominent ear surgery is often characterized by high levels of satisfaction.